12 March 2014

March Bootcamp - Jellies




I've been so focused on Bootcamp, I feel like I haven't posted for ages.

This month's assignment is jelly, which I already had on my 'to do' list, so I thought I'd be off to a running start, but I stalled. My head went off in so many different directions I couldn't decide what to do.

I was determined to use more original drawings this time round, so I just sat down and and drew everything I could, and it was brilliant. I'd forgotten how enjoyable drawing can be when you just go with it. Using loose sheets of paper rather than sketchbooks has also helped.

Now we've to work our design into a pattern for bolt fabric. I know the principles of pattern repeats (kind of) but it's something I've been wanting to learn about for a while so this seemed like a good opportunity. I didn't even look at colour for the first few days, I just worked with my icons, getting them to work in a pattern the way I wanted them to. I learnt a lot in the process but my brain did ache at times trying to make sense of it all.

I'm still playing with colours. I'm still not that clued up on using colour in Photoshop, so I just placed some basic shapes of colour in to see how they would work together (above). They sort of work, so I might just do a little bit of refining and leave it. Then I'd like to try another version with brighter colours. For some reason I'm being drawn to muted tones, which isn't very jelly-ish really. Right at the beginning I was thinking bright transparent jewel tones, I even took the photo below for colour inspiration, but I keep heading for the retro colours.




  



3 comments:

  1. Was going to follow but somehow it wouldn't let me, love your work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me know, I'm having real problems with Google Friend Connect. I've been trying to follow people but I was getting an error message, ended having to go into my settings on Blogger and paste their blog address in. I'll have a look and see if I can fix it.

      Delete
  2. i absolutely love it nancy! it's right up my street :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...